A new blogathon! I’m super excited! Are you excited? (I hope so!)
Okay, so I was going to start out by talking about how there are so many police procedural dramas on TV and oodles of mystery books and tons of police-themed movies and I wanted to honor all that with this blogathon. But no. While all that is technically true, this blogathon began mainly as a way to finally motivate myself to write that epic post about why I love Jim Gordon (Dark Knight trilogy, mainly Batman Begins). So, I was going to write that post and then I had the idea for this blogathon and I was really struck with the idea, and that’s what I’m going with.
- The blogathon will run from March 28th-31st. You can publish your post (or posts) on the 28th, 29th, 30th, or 31st.
- Duplicate topics will not be allowed, as there’s a slew of material to chose from.
- ‘Good cop’ is defined as someone who’s a walking pillar of loyalty, great bravery, and awesomeness in their community. (So basically Jim Gordon.) (Fine. I’ll be quiet about him…for now.). ‘Bad cop’ is defined as someone who is either totally crooked, playing both sides, on the good side but pretending to be on the bad side, on the take, has a less than stellar personality but is still good at heart, etc. You get it.
- You can write about a character from a movie, book, TV show, graphic novel – basically any medium.
- FBI, CIA, and all other special/secret agents are disqualified. So are private investigators/detectives. So is western law enforcement, because there could be a whole other blogathon just for them and I wanted to keep this one centered on city-based police. (Police detectives are fine. As are police inspectors, commissioners – whatever rank you can think of.) (If you have any questions about a particular character’s eligibility for the blogathon, just leave ’em in the comments.)
- If you need inspiration when it comes to choosing a character, there’s loads of lists on the internet that should help – Google is awesome for that. 🙂
- EDIT: Your entry does not have to include both a good cop and a bad cop. It can be one or the other.
- And that’s about it. Let me know in the comments what fictional cop you want to feature on your blog and I’ll add you to the roster. Then check out the awesome buttons below, stick one on your blog, and let’s have some fun with this!
Blogathon Participant Roster:
- Jim Gordon in ‘Batman Begins’ (2005) – moi
- ‘Kindergarten Cop’ (1990) – Realweegiemidget
- ‘Hell on Frisco Bay’ (1955) – Hamlette’s Soliliquy
- ‘Alien Nation’ (1988) – The Midnite Drive-In
- ‘Dick Tracy’ (1990) – jessica prescott (guest post on this blog)
- Johnny Kelly in ‘City that Never Sleeps’ (1953) – Caftan Woman
- Captain Renault (‘Casablanca’, 1942) vs. Nestor Patou (‘Irma La Douce’, 1963) – pure entertainment preservation society
- ‘On Dangerous Ground’ (1951) and ‘Mystery Street’ (1950) – Phyllis Loves Classic Movies
- ‘Bon Cop, Bad Cop’ (2006) – The Wonderful World of Cinema
- ‘The Big Heat’ (1953) – Musings of a Classic Film Addict
- ‘The Asphalt Jungle’ (1950) – Old Hollywood Films
- Bullitt (1968) – In The Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood
Hope to see you there!
(EDIT: I used a photo of US Marshall Gerard from ‘The Fugitive’ movie as one of the blogathon button images. Like the FBI, CIA, etc., US Marshalls are actually not an approved category for this blogathon. I apologize for any confusion/inconvenience this has caused and I hope you like the replacement button.)