I have a love-hate relationship with Disney princesses. Some I love, some I hate. I feel neutral towards some of them. So, I’m ranking them. (Except Tiana ’cause I haven’t seen all of ‘Princess and the Frog’ and Merida because she’s Pixar and I haven’t seen ‘Brave’ and Elsa because she’s a queen.) I’m planning to do a ranking of Disney princes as well which should be great.
11. Snow White – So, yes, Snow White was the very first Disney princess which makes her special. I guess. But she doesn’t have much of a personality beyond ‘nice’ and her voice is annoying. There’s nothing I really like about her.
10. Cinderella – I don’t have many warm feelings for Cinderella (original version of the character, NOT live-action remake). Pretty much the only thing she has going for her (to put her above Snow White) is that her voice sounds better.
9. Ariel – I’ve seen Ariel top ‘definitive ranking of Disney princess’ lists time and time again, but I really can’t stand her. While she has more of a personality and better songs than Cinderella or Snow White, she’s rebellious and a bit clueless at the same time (deals with Ursula are never a good idea).
8. Aurora – The sleeping princess who doesn’t do much. But her dresses and hair and song and general sweet disposition are all on point and I find her story an intriguing one. And her name is so pretty!
7. Pocohontas – She stands up for nature and her people and does…not much else? Really, the only thing that puts her ahead of Aurora is the fact that Alan Menken composed some gorgeous songs for her to sing. And I did like the continuation of Pocohantas’ character in the second movie, so there’s that.
6. Jasmine – Jasmine is a good princess and her and Aladdin’s relationship is cute, but she’s not one of my favorites. Sort of in the middle and all that. Though I do like how she wasn’t a complete idiot about ‘Prince Ali’s’ secret identity. And Rajah is awesome!
5. Anna – Anna is probably my favorite part of ‘Frozen’. I enjoy her sense of humor, loyalty, honesty, dorky relationships with the guys in her life, and, of course, her sacrifice at the end. #lifegoals
4. Mulan – While there’s plenty of Disney princesses that could give Mulan competition for the title ‘bravest Disney Princess ever’, I believe she deserves that recognition. (Though she’s not technically a princess.) I mean, she goes off into a brutal and bloody war so that her father won’t have to and it’s just…heartbreaking and inspiring all at once.
3. Moana – The top three on this list are somewhat interchangeable with each other. Just so you know. Moana is a vividly realized character with an intact family (always a plus when it comes to Disney princesses), a huge heart for her home, and so much strength of character.
2. Rapunzel – Another Disney princess with both her parents still living! Let this become a habit, Disney. I felt a little guilty for not placing her at #1, but I realized that I like ‘Tangled’ more than Rapunzel herself. (Just a little bit.) She’s a bright, beautiful, exuberant character with great goals and the Best Sidekick Ever. Let’s all try to be more like Rapunzel.
1. Belle – She’s a bookworm, so I obviously relate. AND SHE’S SO BRAVE WHEN SHE TAKES HER FATHER’S PLACE (like Mulan, almost) AND ‘SOMETHING THERE’ ALWAYS MAKES ME CRY AND I JUST HAVE A LOT OF FEELINGS ABOUT THIS MOVIE AND THE PRINCESS. ❤
Soooooooo…how did my rankings match up with yours? Let me know in the comments!