Who doesn’t love Disney princes? They’re charming, handsome, witty, heroic, and caring. Well, some of them are anyway. Today I’ll be ranking almost every Disney prince, based on my entirely subjective personal opinion of each one.
10. Prince Florian – Zero personality. And he kisses a dead girl. I think I’ve made my point.
9. Prince Charming – Again, no personality. But he dances well and, uh, um, I can’t really think of anything else to say. *yawns* However, if you’re talking about the live-action Prince Kit, well, that’s another story altogether. ❤
8. John Smith – Honestly, I can’t think of much to say about John Smith. He’s voiced Mel Gibson and I really don’t like Mel Gibson, but that’s not the character’s fault. Overall, ‘Pocahontas’ is its heroine’s story and I don’t focus much on Smith.
7. Prince Eric – I haven’t seen ‘The Little Mermaid’ in quite a while, so I can’t say too much about Prince Eric. (I know, I know, this post has been frightfully dull so far. It should pick up soon, though.) Like Ariel, Eric has topped many Disney lists of favorite characters before, but I don’t remember being too impressed with him when I saw TLM a while back.
6. Kristoff – Kristoff is better than Hans, of course, though he’s not one of my absolute favorites. He’s kind of rough and crude from being raised by a bunch of trolls, but his relationship with Anna is super sweet. And his frantic ride to bring Anna back to the palace? So heroically awesome!
5. Aladdin – To some extent, Aladdin is overshadowed by the Genie, Jafar, and even Jasmine. But, man, his little solo (“Riffraff, street rat, I don’t buy that…”) is so full of aching hope and longing that I can’t help but melt a little for him. And he saves Jasmine from getting her hand chopped off and gives his food to those little children and saves them from being trampled…he’s a pretty great hero, actually.
4. Li Shang – He wants so much to do the right thing and make his father and his emperor proud. There’s a lot hanging on Shang’s shoulder and he definitely feels the weight of that responsibility. There isn’t much romance in ‘Mulan’, but Shang stands on his own two feet – just like Mulan, he doesn’t need a romantic relationship to define him. (I feel like Shang’s relationship with his father is what really defines him.)
3. The Beast/Prince Adam – Probably the prince that I have the most feelings about. There’s several Seriously Not Okay things that he does through the course of ‘Beauty and the Beast’ (capturing people and locking them up will not get the curse revoked, dude), but he does so much good, too. I always tear up when he gives Belle the library. And when he lets her go. And when he dies. And when they’re dancing together at the end. *happy sigh*
2. Prince Phillip – I admit that some nostalgia is involved in such a high ranking of Phillip. My grandmother had three Disney storybooks and I’d read them over and over again when I was little. One of the stories was ‘Sleeping Beauty’ and it was one of my favorites (I hadn’t even seen the movie, but still). I thought Prince Phillip was so heroic, fighting the dragon, and really handsome as well. (I still stand by both those opinions.) I LOVE how he refuses to marry Aurora because he wants to marry…Aurora. There’s so much to like about him, really.
1. Flynn Ryder/Eugene Fitzherbert – “He’s so handsome. Just like his reward posters.” Flynn’s character growth is great. I love the little moments of vulnerability that Rapunzel brings out of him, like when they’re stuck in the cave, or sitting by the campfire, or waiting for the lanterns. And when he sacrifices his own life for Rapunzel’s, it’s one of the most tragically beautiful Disney moments ever. Of course, we get a Disney Death™ and everything ends Happily Ever After, but his sacrifice was still real. I love it.
Wow. Ranking the princes was significantly harder than ranking the princesses, for some reason. I’m still not entirely happy with my list, to be honest. Anyway, you guys seem to like these Disney-themed posts, so are there any other lists or rankings you’d like to see on this blog in the future? Let me know!